Monday, June 14, 2021

Alan's Alert 6-14-2021

 



I have a difficult time going with the crowd.  I was once asked; would I jump off a bridge if my friends did.  It’s one of those Zen Koans like, “if a tree falls in the woods, would it make a sound” or “what’s the sound of one hand clapping” or “if nobody showed up to a politician’s speech, would they still lie”?  It is supposed to snap your brain into thinking for itself instead of going with the crowd. 


As I’ve grown older, I’m less interested in the news and more interested in their sources.  I’ve found that the news is more infotainment and less data (and I’m a data nerd).  Maybe this is why I’ve had a hard time with masks (they don’t work), lockdowns (they really don’t work), and hydroxychloroquine (Fauci, the definitive paper was written by the National Institute of Health that it works, right here!), but I digress.

 

The first book I read on investing was Benjamin Graham’s “Intelligent Investor”.  He is considered the father of value investing and had a very contrarian view on investing.  His goal was to find businesses that other investors weren’t paying attention to and which were trading at a discount.  He shaped many investors after him including Warren Buffett and Seth Klarman.

 

I say all this because I’m having a hard time as the mainstream press is getting involved in the inflation story.  Usually when the mainstream press gets on the boat, it’s time to get off.  It’s not just the mainstream press either, it is also some big hedge fund names, big-wig economists, and bank CEOs/CFOs.  It seems everyone is of the belief that inflation is going to be running higher. 

 

So, what’s a contrarian to do?  There’s a popular idiom in the investing world, “don’t fight the Fed”.  When the Fed wants something to go a certain way, you can be contrarian but you’ll lose your portfolio betting against them.  They have more money than anyone in the market (heck they print it) and it gives them the ability to force things in a certain direction.  


Over the weekend Michael Shedlock of mishtalk.com put out an important graph.

He’s of the mind that inflation is transitory but is a big believer in holding gold.  His theory is that negative real interest rates (in this case 3-mo treasury bills minus y/y CPI) lead to gains in gold.

 

I’m still a believer in the gold, silver, and oil story.  I’m nervous about the mainstream press and I’m of the mind that inflation is here, but can it be transitory, only time will tell.

 

If you want to see the source give Mish’s work a good look at his blog mishtalks.com.

 

 

 

Important and Potential Market Moving Events This Week

Tuesday, June 15
5.30am Retail Sales (May)
5.30am Producer Price Index (May)
6.15am Industrial & Manufacturing Production (May)

 

Wednesday, June 16
5.30am Housing Starts and Building Permits (May)
7.30am Gas, Distillates and Crude Oil Stocks/Production Changes
11am FOMC Economic Projects & Interest Rate Decision
11.30am Fed Press Conference

 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment